Thursday, September 5, 2013

Taming the Judgement

This past week I have come to some realizations about people, especially including myself. We are extremely judgmental beings! Bear with me here for a moment, please. Because I know that you are thinking, "hey isn't this supposed to be about the positive stuff?" Don't worry I'm getting there.

I am working on becoming a more positive person. Getting back to to it more like, however I know that I have a long way to go, but I do know that I am making some sort of progress here. However the other day I was struck by something about myself. I was hosting at work, and with the way they do things now I have to be outside, which is fine, I like being outside. Its Beverly Hills so you see all sorts of different people. Mostly well off. And some incredibly different people as well. This specific day, a girl walked by, with what I believed to be a rather questionable outfit, and my brain instantly went into "what is she thinking?'' Then like a big smack in the face, I realized, it's none of my business. This girl is in charge of her own life and nothing that anyone tells her, or thinks about her is going to change that. And for all I know, she may not have had anything else in her closet that day.

This one thought got me thinking about our human nature for a good part of the night. We spend so much of our lives pointing out imperfections in other people, and for what? What lets us feel we have the right to judge a person wholly on theirs appearance. Are we simply mean-spirited? Or more likely are we pointing out others imperfections, because we aren't fully comfortable with who we are? I think the latter is more likely the case.

We live in a society where first impressions are everything, but what we all consistently forget is that there are layers to people. You will never discover much about a person on your first meeting. I have been with my boyfriend for over six years and while I feel like I know him pretty well, I still learn more about him everyday.

At the end of the day judging people for absolutely no reason, or any reason at all really, especially when you don't know their whole story, really doesn't do anything for you does it? For me I know I just feel bad about it later, especially if I meet someone, and right away make judgements about them, then find out how awesome they are later. You can miss out on some of the coolest people if you make snap judgements. Now this isn't to say that after you get to know someone, and don't agree with their lifestyle you should continue to be their best friend, but you can separate yourself from that person. After all it is their life, you can't change them to fit your needs, and they shouldn't change you to fit theirs.

So this is something I am trying to work on myself, just working on becoming more open-minded, and I believe the rest will fall into place. I'm not going to beat myself up, everytime I think something bad about another person, because that's not healthy either, we are merely humans after all. But even if I do make snap judgements, to try to remember, this one simple detail; I know absolutely nothing about this persons life. To me that just puts it all into perspective. Everyone lives differently, and the best way to live your own life fully is not to worry about how everyone else is living theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment